Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What Matters Most

This isn't a post about about "New year, New me" crap. Every year everyone has the same goal. You can read more about that on my sister in laws blog, because I don't feel like going into that.Click here for the wise words of Brittany. I want to get to the point of what I wanted to write about.
I hate setting New Years goals. Maybe I'm afraid of failure our maybe I just know I won't complete my goal. For the last five years at least I haven't made any goals. I won't make "goals" this year either. I just want to improve on things. Yes, that does sound like a goal... but I really hate the cliche New Years Goals... or even that phrase.
A New year is a clean slate. Just like how every Monday I tell my self I'm going to eat better this week, cook more, work out... blah blah blah. You get my point. Then by Wednesday I haven't done anything so I tell my self that I will start again Monday. You're laughing because we have all been there.
Anyways, back to the point of this post. Lexi is getting older, obviously. She's noticing more things and getting into a routine of things. Every since Maya has been born we have been slacking on parenting. We are just tired. We plop Lex in front of the tv too much for bed time. We are horrible at eating at the table. Lexi almost expects to eat with a show on! When I started realizing this, I wanted to smack myself.
Putting Lexi to bed is one of my favorite parts of my day. I can finally devote my full attention to her. I love spending 45 minutes on puzzles, books, singing, prayers, and building stairs out of blocks. So why was I giving that up? Honestly it was because Broc and I were being lazy. We wanted our time together to watch tv. What is going to benefit my girls more... watching Toy Story for the fifth time that day while they fall asleep or having their mother and father spend time with them, talk about their day, and just use that time for them.
I choose them.
I am not saying I'm a perfect parent, but I try really hard to be a good one. I want to do things that will benefit my family in the long run and not whats easy.
So number one thing I want to improve on this year is my parenting. After all that is why God sent me these two beautiful children. To teach them.
Second, I really want improve on my cooking. (About time, right Broc?)
I want to cook more. There is always excuses not to cook. Ive used them all!
But as my girls are getting older, I want them to know food. Im sick of making frozen nuggets while Broc and I eat real food. Kids are only picky eaters because of their parents. Trust me, I'm super picky. I don't even like pizza!
Third. Make my home and life more Christ centered. My family really needs to improve on daily scripture reading, family prayers, temple attendance, and making family home evening more than excuse for ice cream. My mom always planned something to teach us, even though we didn't listen. I still remember the lessons and her trying. After all, isn't this life about preparing us for the next one?
Of course I want to improve on the generic goals. I want to lose weight, budget better, and what ever else there is...but right now I really want to focus on what Christ sent me to this earth to do. Be a better mother/wife and come closer to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment